Forget high-tech drones, this year the catapult has made a comeback and is set to be the hottest delivery method for transporting goods around the country. Originally made famous by Dennis the Menace, the similarly mischievous cider brand, Orchard Pig, has just unveiled the largest homemade catapult in the UK. The powerful contraption will launch cans of its Reveller cider from its home turf in Glastonbury to send its cider all the way to central London.
- Desperate to share its new cans with the nation, Orchard Pig has created the towering 2.3-metre-tall slingshot to deliver them in the most effective way.
Watch the Live Stream here:
- The sturdy steel frame incorporates used railway sleepers, making it a heavy duty device that will see the cans soar through the air faster than the national driving speed limit.
- Award-winning craft cider maker, Orchard Pig, is inviting Londoners to get their hands on the new Reveller cans for the first time on Wednesday 4th May.
- The cans will be catapulted from Glastonbury at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour, and then picked up by a dedicated street team to make the final delivery to London drinkers.
- The catapult will be situated in the West Bradley Orchards, where the cider maker is based, giving it the perfect testing zone for its maiden voyage.
- The tweet-to-order mechanic will see Londoners taking to social media to request their Reveller delivery in time for the weekend, using the hashtag #catapultycan. The catapult will be manned by Chief Innovation Officer and farm favourite, Roger Larder.
- The catapult delivery service will be piloted on 4th May. To be in with a chance of getting cans of Revellers delivered, tweeters in zones 1 and 2 of London need to tweet their request using the hashtag #CatapultMyCan.
- They can then view a live stream of the orchards to see their can take flight on the Orchard Pig Youtube channel.
- Satisfying its customers in any way possible is at the heart of the brand, this goes from taste right through to the delivery. In 2015 Orchard Pig began experimenting with drone delivery, however it also wanted to explore new delivery options that no one is yet to trial because it wants to be at the forefront of new and fun technologies.
- RRP: £4.79 for a pack of four 440ml cans.
- Orchard Pig Reveller cans are available from Majestic Wine stores and can be ordered online from Nectar.
Roger Larder, Chief Innovation Officer, commented,
“We understand this has never been done before, and who knows, there could be a good reason why. We wanted to launch our new cans of cider in true Orchard Pig fashion and so physically launching them through the atmosphere seemed like a sensible option. The cans will fly from our Glastonbury based orchard, to the capital, directly into the hands of thirsty Londoners – but only if they can catch them.
“We’re experimenting catapulting all sorts of things – and practicing our technique for getting our ciders over the Glastonbury fence when the festival is on…”
Check out Orchard Pig for more wild revelry. Want to win a pack? Leave a comment and one lucky person chosen at random will win a can.